About Me

My photo
Ash. Spiritual. Happy in my own way. Writes Random Stuff. Ice Cream. Night owl. Ice Cream, again.

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Learning to Move On.



I had a horrible day.

I was down with a bad cold. Three days later, just as I was getting better, I had to spend 3 hours in a meeting room and the air conditioner aggravated my cold. Since the meeting was scheduled at a location within the city, I decided to drive on my own and took my two-wheeler. Just as I was preparing to leave for the day, it started raining heavily. Yes, it was time for our monsoons, but having witnessed an almost May-like-summer for the past week, I wasn’t prepared for it. Thankfully I had an overcoat in my two-wheeler. Just when it stopped raining, I rushed to the parking spot to leave when my vehicle wouldn’t start.

Image Courtesy: FreeDigitalPhotos

Yes. I tried every little thing my dad used to do whenever the vehicle wouldn’t start. Friends and colleagues and those who passed by tried to help me, but in vain. The security told me there was a mechanic shop down the road and he asked me to take a chance. Having just one more option left (to leave the vehicle at office and pick it up later), I decided to give this a try. Hardly I’d stepped out of the gate, when it started pouring again. After waiting for another half an hour, I stepped out and was looking for the mechanic which the security told me about. I did not realize I’d been walking for half an hour on the same road, and I did not realize I was walking through a flooded avenue, I just kept walking. When my legs and head couldn’t bear it any longer, I decided to give up and turned to walk to the office, pick up my bag and take an auto when it started pouring again.

I cursed myself and kept walking, without thinking about anything. I was fully drenched and I could feel the sinus building up, the running nose set to get back to form along with the headaches that accompany cold. I walked back and the security offered to find an auto for me, which I had to refuse as I did not want him to waste more of his time than he already had and set out. After 4 auto drivers said no, and after about 10 minutes, finally one auto driver accepted to come to my area. I got in, called my mom and briefed her about what happened. It took all my will power not to cry or shout or do anything stupid and with great difficulty I calmed down. I was happy I had the option of leaving the vehicle and picking it up later, to which the security obliged.


Later, when I was at home (all pampered), I received a mail from a colleague that her survival story was published in a magazine. She was down with dengue a year back, her condition was very serious and she miraculously survived.

My mind drifted to an acquaintance, who was engaged to be married. Her mother was murdered almost a year back, and here she was moving on (with difficult, but still) with her life.

I thought about another friend, who met with a horrible accident and was scarred for life and yet she did not allow any of it to come in her way. She is now a successful professional in her field.

I’m not sure why I thought about the three of them, but they were relevant to the situation. Three people, who people would have normally expected to give up hope of living, have accepted life as it has come and have been moving on. When I compared what I went through to what they would have gone through, I felt so guilty and so ashamed. I felt guilty for being worried about something that was so trivial!

I actually had more reasons to be happy. (I had to option to leave my vehicle to pick it up later. Problem Solved)

Next time when something like this happens, I’m not going to give it another thought, or wonder why I was having a bad day. I’ll take inspiration from the three women and just keep moving on.

For all I know, I might even find another reason to be happy!

30 comments:

  1. Well said, and woke up to reality soon. We have many things to be thankful for, but in moments like this we do the opposite, and that is quite natural, no need to feel guilty or ashamed, thoughts of those three friends came to inspire you, and so in a way it was not a bad day..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! So it wasn't a bad day after all :-)

      Delete
  2. You made a mountain of a mole hill ! When people long to dance in rain,you seem scared of common cold !
    The moral is to keep your two wheeler well maintained without having to coax it into life as your dad did.
    A nasty experience indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. The roads were flooded, cables were lying around and I have no idea how many manholes were open. All I wanted was to reach home safely. Plus I was having my phone, Ipod and a lot of other stuff which were not water-proof, so I did not get a minute to even enjoy!

      Surprisingly, the next day when I went to pick my vehicle, it started without a fuss!

      Delete
  3. Treat issues like this as "passing clouds". Everything will be alright. Thalaikku vandhadhu Thalaipaagaiyodu Pochchu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fine now, but yes I will remember this at all times :-)

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Challenges, especially the ones nature throws at us, are critical in building the person that we are. As the adage goes - If you don't die (due to a bad experience), you are only going to get stronger.

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything that doesnt kill you , makes you stronger. So true!

      Delete
  5. "I felt sorry for myself because I had ragged shoes until I met a man who had no feet."
    Indeed a very inspiring post, Ashwini.
    Have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. When we take a step back and take a second look at things, they dont seem that bad at all!

      Delete
  6. Yes Ravish Mani said what I wanted to say too- I cried I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet.
    Simple as that.
    We like to feel that our ailments ( if that can be called so) are the worst and that matters to the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, we are used to hearing 'To each his own', but only when we sort of compare it with others we realize how lucky we've been!

      Delete
  7. Aww, it was an awful day,but thank God it is not an awful life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Thank God it was just a part of the day!

      Delete
  8. Happens sometimes, Ash! Good you came out unscathed and god sure helps those who help themselves:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sir. Now when I think of it, I know it was nothing major. Still :-)

      Delete
  9. Great moral, Ash :)
    Yes, be positive! Keep calm & carry on :)
    Keep smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yours was a bad day but yes, there are many stories out there that inspire us to be positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, what's life without trying to look at the positive aspects of a bad day! :-)

      Delete
  11. This is what we should all do in bad situations: think of something worse. Just like the "Bapu's Talisman" that we saw on the first page (or within the first few pages) of NCERT school books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Things can be worse, but we should be happy that they are not.

      Delete
  12. Congratulations! Your post has been featured in this week's Tangy Tuesday Picks. Check it out at- http://adda.at/tangy9-12

    ReplyDelete
  13. And they call it Murphy's law...it happens many times and yeah...we shouldn't be bogged down by such events and this is what u did!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Things do go wrong. Like they say, shit happens. Wallowing in self pity or being angry/sad is not the answer. But sooner or later we have to let go of our past and move on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And trying to know the reason behind such silly things is not going to help either!

      Delete

I would love to hear from You!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...